Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grindstone 4 change installation directory (where is travel mode)?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grindstone 4 change installation directory (where is travel mode)?

Hi, All!

I'm trying to figure out if Grindstone 4 can be installed to an arbitrary path location besides %APPDATA%\Grindstone 4\. That won't work for me. In Grindstone 2 there was a travel mode that could do the trick. But I couldn't find it into version 4. The installation wizard doesn't prompt for an installation path nor I can find a command line option that would do it. I found and tried to change some registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Grindstone 4\Install_Dir
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Uninstall\Grindstone 4 (some here)

but with no effect. I searched the forum but no news (closer was the unanswered http://community.epiforge.com/forum/...1-silent-setup).

Any help appreciated!

thanks!

It's actually %LOCALAPPDATA%\Grindstone 4, not %APPDATA%\Grindstone 4. Sorry, but we chose not to support installing Grindstone 4 anywhere other than the user's local application data folder. We have several reasons for this, but among them are:
    • neither the Grindstone installer nor its updater needs privilege elevation to operate as expected on default Windows installations
    • a user that is not an administrator can install and update Grindstone on default Windows installations
    • a user's access to this path is otherwise guaranteed by the operating system itself
    • this is a desktop app implementation of the Microsoft app store's behavior
    • Microsoft does list this as a best practice if it is possible (which it is for Grindstone)

Comment

Thanks for the answer, Daniel! I see your point. It's sad. It means it won't work in a pen drive. In my case, I have a place where I put my portable apps, so I can access it in every workstation I use. Another use case would be cloud drives. I even tried to change %LOCALAPPDATA% and %APPDATA% before loading the app (and even before installing it) but with no effect. You made a good job in concealing this "feature"! I'm stuck with version 2 for now, but I'll be checking back on version 4 development often. This plugin framework seems really nice. Just to be sure, travel mode is gone too, right? To migrate to a different computer we need to install Grindstone 4 and grab the database and config file we're using, right?

Comment

Yes. Travel Mode is gone... for now...

Comment

8,,,-)))))))

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Wink ;) Smile :) Big Grin :D Frown :( Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
          Working...
          X