Get rid of Grindstone sync nag

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get rid of Grindstone sync nag

After an update during summer 2018 I started to get a nagging notification in my taskbar about installing Grindstone Sync.

I only want to keep using Grindstone 4. Can I permanently disable this message so I dont have to close it once every day, or download an older version of grindstone 4 somewhere?

I do not want syncing... so why nag me to try it after the first dozen times of asking me?

Comment

With respect - I do understand the desire to advertise new features (esp. those that then realise revenue), but I also agree with others here - that once I have declined the offer, then I don't want to be reminded of it repeatedly.

Comment

Much as I would have liked to make use of Grindstone Sync, none of my mobile devices can run the mobile app, seeing as it only supports Adroid 8 and up. Why do you keep nagging me about a feature that I cannot physically make use of?? I have been a loyal Grindstone supporter for many years now, but this, this single "feature" is making me question whether my support is worth this continued harrasment, and whether it would not be better do ditch Grindstone completely in lieu of the tried and trusted pen-and-paper method. Please, PLEASE allow this nag screen to be disabled.

Comment

I feel compelled to apologize for what is admittedly a single-minded approach to monetizing Grindstone. We believe that Grindstone Sync provides a very real value to users with mobile devices and users that are a part of teams. But, as has been pointed out in this thread, that doesn’t serve everyone’s needs. And, since we assume that everyone that loyally uses Grindstone wants to support it and its future, we need to provide those of you not interested in Grindstone Sync with some way of doing that. I am replying to this thread to solicit ideas from the community along those lines. How can we better help you support Grindstone?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Henry View Post
            I feel compelled to apologize for what is admittedly a single-minded approach to monetizing Grindstone. We believe that Grindstone Sync provides a very real value to users with mobile devices and users that are a part of teams. But, as has been pointed out in this thread, that doesn’t serve everyone’s needs. And, since we assume that everyone that loyally uses Grindstone wants to support it and its future, we need to provide those of you not interested in Grindstone Sync with some way of doing that. I am replying to this thread to solicit ideas from the community along those lines. How can we better help you support Grindstone?
            Offer users a choice:

a) Install and use old versions (make the downloads availible) of Grindstone and use them forever.
            b) Pay for "Grindstone 4 premium version"

It is common for Windows applications to cost money, so if you are going to monetize, go ahead.

Comment

another choice

c) Maybe nag me once a month is better every couple of days!

Comment

>
                How can we better help you support Grindstone?

The usual expectation is that loyal users report bugs, suggest features, and perform beta testing. I suppose you could help with this by being responsive, for example, to the recent reports of database corruption.

Comment

After my phone updated to Android 8 I decided to try the Sync option. It seemed to work fine, except that I wasn't using it on my phone. With only by PC actively capturing time, I saw no reason to continue Sync, and cancelled.

And lo, and behold - THE NAG SCREENS STARTED RIGHT BACK UP!!!

I used Sync. I cancelled Sync. NO, I DO NOT WANT TO TRY SYNC AGAIN!!!

Perhaps, when you run the check that decides whether to pop up the nag window AGAIN, also check whether there, maybe, perhaps, is a cancelled instance of the service you are nagging about, and take that into account before you show the pop-up.
                  Last edited by surek; 10-24-2018, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Many things are annoying about the marketing of Grindstone Sync. I decided I really like Grindstone4 and am willing to pay a small price for its use. I don't need to sync anything, but it would be worth buying an accessory like this to stop the nag, although I would prefer you just ask for the money rather than make it seem like a separate purchase.

But, alas, the price of Grindstone Sync is rather hidden. Finally, I discover that it's a $5/month license fee. No, I'm not willing to pay $60 per month to use a supposedly free product without nagging. A license fee? Really? Another financial obligation for a rather minor app? And here I thought I could avoid the perpetual nags by spending maybe a one-time fee of $15 or so, which is what I'd be willing to pay for Grindstone 4.

I think you must have a terrible business model, and somewhat questionable ethics to match. But excellent product. Maybe I'll find a way to automate the dismissal of the nags.

Comment

OMG, why is this still a thing? Turned of the damn nag prompt already!

Comment

Guest commented
                        Editing a comment
                        <Turn off>

Daniel Henry Since you solicit ideas, maybe add an option in settings or the ini file to turn off the notifications? If someone is willing to dive into the settings or an ini to specifically turn this off it is probably a good bet that they won't want to purchase sync.

Comment

This really is annoying. I think we're at the point where I'd pay for a lesser subscription just to not by bothered by the pop up about this subscription. It's so annoying.

Comment

I have downgraded to Grindstone 2 specifically to avoid this nag. Grindstone 2 also has a lot of nice features that were inexplicably removed from Grindestone 4.

Comment

the fact that i google for the message should say enough.... I also reached the point that i want to pay, but the funny thing is that i was always very happy with Grindstone (and it doesn't care at all that i need to pay a bit money for a peace of software), but Grindstone 4 is so much worse than the earlier versions. I'm going to search (again) for an alternative for Grindstone 4.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            Big Grin :D Frown :( Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Embarrassment :o Confused :confused: Wink ;) Smile :) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image below.

Registration Image Refresh Image
                            Working...
                            X